for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Kindle the flame

Mt 10 year school reunion is coming up in a couple of months. I'm looking forward to it actually - there are a number of people I'd really love to see and know how their lives have been changing over the years. When I left yr 12 I was a Christian, and had a number of Christian friends. Unfortunately, when some of them hit uni, the things of this world became more important and they decided to walk away from Jesus (actually that's one of the reasons why I am so passionate about uni ministry).

So you can imagine how encouraging it is when you hear about someone from school who has walked towards the Lord instead.

When I was about 5, I started at a new school in Melbourne. Unfortunately for me, that first day at school (always a traumatic one) ended up in me having two broken bones and a whole bunch of new friends who wanted to get in on the action. One of them, was a girl named Christine. Years after I did, C ended up moving to Sydney with her family and we became friends again at Ravenswood for a few years in high school before she left in year 10 - on a path to be, in her words "pretty much as far away from being a Christian as you could imagine".

Since '99 she has been living in London, and it was there that three years ago she became a Christian through the 'Alpha' ministries. Three weeks ago, she rocked up to CCSI, remembering that while we were at school there had been a number of younger people who went there. Although I hadn't seen her there that night, I heard how God had been working through her life and when I did I was just so excited that I had to call her straight away (feel a little bad now that it was after 10:30 but I was just compelled!). Since then we've had lunch, swapped testimonies and I've heard of her plans to go to China or Nepal as a missionary.


This is a picture of us taken from Monday night at the CCSI "women in ministry" night (crappy one taken from my phone camera but it's a great memory). It's so amazing to be able to look back and see the ways in which God has been working through peoples lives over 10 years and I can't help but be excited when thinking about what can happen over the next 10.

Can you imagine how excited we'll be when we get to heaven? Can you imagine how many cries of "I never thought you'd be here!" will be going up? So for those who were, or are, Christians at high school and wonder if it makes any difference - be encouraged because it does! (it just may take you ten years or more to know it).

Brownie points if anyone gets the what I'm referring to in the title...

3 Comments:

  • At 11:14 am, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    Great story, Jodi.

    I have had similar experiences finding out about people I haven't seen for 10-15 years who are now Christians. And some that aren't, sadly.

    One word: Facebook.

     
  • At 2:09 am, Blogger Justin said…

    Love it.

     
  • At 5:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ah kindle the flame!

    hadnt thought of that little song in a while! knew what you were talking about as soon as i read it though.... something about us Ravo girls hey...


    Jodi, that is just such an encouraging story! Thank you for sharing! Praise God that she has brought your friend to Him. Wow...it actually made me excited about the possibility of girls from my year at Ravo turning to Christ too...dont really think about that enough really...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home