for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Lily on Life

The song "The Fear" from Lily Allen has been playing on the radio a fair bit lately and, I have to say, that with all it's cynicism I really like it. Have a look at the words:

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f***loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they are trying to find them

I’ll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
‘Cuz everyone knows that’s how you get famous
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

Chorus
I don’t know what’s right and what’s real anymore
I don’t know how I’m meant to feel anymore
When we think it will all become clear
'Cuz I’m being taken over by The Fear

Life’s about film stars and less about mothers
It’s all about fast cars and passing each other
But it doesn’t matter cause I’m packing plastic
and that’s what makes my life so f***ing fantastic

And I am a weapon of massive consumption
and its not my fault it’s how I’m program to function
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

I don’t know what’s right and what’s real anymore
I don’t know how I’m meant to feel anymore
When we think it will all become clear
‘Cuz I’m being taken over by The Fear

Bridge
Forget about guns and forget ammunition
Cause I’m killing them all on my own little mission
Now I’m not a saint but I’m not a sinner
Now everything is cool as long as I’m getting thinner

I don’t know what’s right and what’s real anymore
I don’t know how I’m meant to feel anymore
When we think it will all become clear
‘Cause I’m being taken over by fear


I was so curious about her take on some of what's happening in our Western culture/generation that I went to you-tube to check out her film clip.

I think it's brilliantly done. In the opening scene everything (even though it's as simple as some plastic chairs, a caravan, some underwear and a teddy bear on a clothes line) is still accessible - it's real and life size so you can get your hands on it to use and enjoy. But as she moves into the castle that is ornately decorated and has others at her beck and call (whom she barely acknowledges) everything that you could 'want' becomes more remote and less available. There's the vanity mirror that she stares into blankly while products go unused; children's toys that wont have any little ones scratching them (or her life) up as they play; cupcakes that will never get savoured to keep her thin; gifts of consumption that are not being opened and only take up more space (interestingly the only time that she seems to smile in the clip is when she's pushing the consumerables out of her way); and towards the end as she walks out of the castle you're struck by how alone she is (as is her precious building filled with goodies).

No one interacting, no one enjoying all of the delights that are on offer because she's constantly moving on to the next part of the house or 'thing'.

What do you think? Are we/the world really that superficial? Do we care more about film stars and less about mothers? Are our lives more or less enjoyable when they're filled with plastic? What "mission" are you on?

1 Comments:

  • At 10:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this song and I think a lot of Lily Allen's music is quite clever. I believe there are elements of truth to The Fear (as there is in all of her work, which is why I think she's so popular) but I think that the fact I know there is something better that exists is the reason I can enjoy a lot of her stuff.

    I'll lend you her new CD tomorrow so you can let me know what you think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home