for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, August 20, 2006

For the class of '97...

I was driving home tonight with AJ, one of the girls that I went through high school with and it was nice to reminisce about some things that we'd been through over the years - in particular with Julie (who I mentioned from last weekend) as our bible study leader. It got me thinking about some highlights, and 1997 was just one of those years.

Since coming back from that study camp a couple of months ago, I've been doing a lot of reminiscing. About a year and a half ago I was driving to Macquarie shops with Justin Moffat (can't remember the why only the where) and he asked me - "what were the defining years of your life so far?". Without question, 2000 was the year that has defined me thus far (for reasons which may or may not be disclosed in future posts) - but '97, the year that I when I was in yr 12, was also a very good year...

I became more comfortable 'in my own skin' (name that movie)
I became more confident in the woman that God would continually shape me to be
I trusted my peers less and myself more (and that was a good thing)
I finished school
I learnt how to say "no" so the "yes's" had a lot more value
I got my license
I spent my summer holidays at the beach, in particular at the Newport arms...

It was that carefree time in life when it was ok to become like a stalker at midnight and when you could start to make those decisions that could affect the rest of your life - the good, bad, ugly and the glorious.

On camp, Mark (who I'd also been through yr 12 with) asked if I remembered what our year 12 songs had been. Since I couldn't, I did a google search - here are the top 5 and some of my personal fav's to laugh at and reminisce over (for whatever reason, I don't necessarily like all of them!). It's amazing how songs jog memories isn't it?

1. Candle In The Wind 1997, Elton John
2. Foolish Games / You Were Meant For Me, Jewel
3. I'll Be Missing You, Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
4. Un-Break My Heart, Toni Braxton (are you kidding me! how on earth did that get to the tope 5???)
5. Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, Puff Daddy
10. Wannabe, Spice Girls
15. Bitch, Meredith Brooks
17. Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
36. All For You, Sister Hazel
38. Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?, Paula Cole
39. Sunny Came Home, Shawn Colvin
55. If It Makes You Happy , Sheryl Crow
60. Everyday Is A Winding Road, Sheryl Crow
63. Building A Mystery, Sarah McLachlan
65. Your Woman, White Town
67. Change The World, Eric Clapton
69. Tubthumping, Chumbawamba
77. Secret Garden, Bruce Springsteen
83. On and On, Erykah Badu
94. Barbie Girl, Aqua

(For the record, 36 and 63 will always make it onto my favorites list)

But now the memories of the past are going to become the my prayers for the future. Many of the people who I shared those songs and memories with, who used to profess Christ as their Lord and Saviour, no longer call on His name or walks in His ways. Some are just lukewarm (which I think is almost worse). And yet others still, hopefully myself included, are stronger than they ever were in their faith and in the knowledge of just how much God loves us. At least 12 are involved in full time ministry (or married to someone who is), are at or have been through bible college. How cool is that?

Take some time this week to think about how God has worked in your life since high school - hindsight is a wonderful gift...

5 Comments:

  • At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay for the class of '97! They may not have made the official top 100, but another couple of songs that typified 1997 for me were Unique II "Break my stride", and "Love Shack" - an oldie but a goodie!

    Glad to have shared it with you my friend - and gladder to have continued on the journey with you! You are a perpetual encouragement to me.

    Anna G. xxx

     
  • At 8:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a few things:

    1. God is Fantastic
    2. i initially thought the AJ referred to me. but i was in year 5 in 1997 (not to make you feel old) and so i quickly realised it was Someone Else.
    3. that is a fantastic song list - lots of those songs are on my ipod.
    4. my year 12 song was Eye of the Tiger. lame.
    4 1/2. May 1997 - defining moment in my Musical 'Career'. unless you want to take a stab, i'll tell you why in Family Time. (it's not that difficult, though... and it's good for a laugh.)

    x

     
  • At 8:28 am, Blogger jodi said…

    re 4 - Hanson came to Australia and you went to their concert???

     
  • At 5:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    as we discussed today, you were Close, but came away with No Cigar. i will tell you (despite your probable disinterest) that their 8TH ALBUM, The Walk, will be released mid next year. a tour will follow late 07/early 08. i fear i may be in france so let's hope they bring their Boy Band Bliss to europe. :)

    remind me to finish the Sara Conversation with you next week.

    until then - :) x

     
  • At 1:24 am, Blogger dan said…

    hehe, how cool are old songs. I remember alll those songs. Man, I was in year 9 then, which was a pretty defining year in my life itself :P I'll be missing you by the puff was in my walkman a lot, and I loved those two Jewel songs (how she has sadly fallen from grace imho). Thanks for posting such gold from the past :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home