for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Friday, December 08, 2006

Credo Hits Cessnock


Here you have the greeting that West Cessnock Congregational church had for us when the Credo crew arrived on Wednesday night. After a long drive from Canberra it was great to be so warmly welcomed – but I have to say that in my tiredness all I wanted was to hit my bed! It’s always a little tough billeting with people you’ve never met, but mine are lovely, and their four children (all under the age of 6) only wake me occasionally. But the trade off to that is that this is the view from my room (see, even the kangaroos want to come into the garden to check it out!) which overlooks the Hunter valley vineyards.

We’ve had a busy couple of days. Yesterday was slightly quieter as some were at a primary school doing a presentation on Jesus as the true King of Christmas, or leafleting or helping out with a working bee.

But today was a little more hectic as we firstly went to a high school (which ended in having swarms of kids around us asking for bible verses), did a two hour radio program (here’s me being interviewed by Ang) and hosted youth group.

On another note, throughout our time here we’ve been doing some devotions on Haggai. It’s not a book I have spent much time reading, but it’s been really challenging looking at what God was doing with the Israelites. Having spent so much time doing whatever they wanted to make their own lives comfortable, the prophet intervened to point out that they were neglecting what was most important in their lives, God - and He wasn’t happy.


It’s been one of the thoughts that have been going through my mind the most lately. How often am I busy doing things that I think are important or necessary to be doing, rather than actually taking the time to think about what God would want me to be doing? I’m so sick of the word ‘busy’. I want to try and eradicate it from my vocabulary. I shared with the Credoites this morning that in my busyness I’ve become quite spiritually tired – getting caught up more in the process rather than the reasons and outcome. That is a part of the message of the book of Haggai. People are getting caught up in doing things, yet they are ultimately fruitless because they are separate from the heart of God. But through it all God is faithful simply because, as in the final words of the book “…I have chosen you, declares the Lord of hosts.” He graciously doesn’t give up on me, even when I have been stupidly caught up in other things.

But tomorrow morning at least is about rest – relaxing in the pleasurable company of the Credoites in the Hunter Valley Gardens. I’m going early though to enjoy wandering around some of the vineyards too – some of my favourites are here; Tulloch’s, Peppers Creek, Windarra, Tyrrells, Lindemans… Ministry is tough sometimes, but not tomorrow!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Preach it Jodi!

    Be prayful for the rest of the activities going on tomorrow. And above all thankful for the carol service which ran smoothly today in the Hunter Valley Gardens.

    Chanman (& Walshy ~who did not wanted to be mentioned)
    emailing from 'the nock'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home