for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Monday, April 23, 2007

Single for God or for good?

This weekend just gone I went on the CCSI 6:45 houseparty - the topic being "Relationships". Talks ranged from singleness, marriage, divorce and sexual purity - broad topics but the speaker (Warwick deJersey) managed to convey enough strength of conviction in the way that he spoke to see many people provoked and prodded into some serious reflections. Myself included.

But it has also given me the impetuous to write a series of posts that I've been thinking about for a while now, but have just felt a bit too self conscious about to make public. In last few months I've had a number of people ask me the question "Why are you single?". To be honest , it's surprised me that people are curious but since there are reasons (some better than others) I thought I'd put them down.

So here goes - post #1: Once bitten - twice shy

Warwick kept on using the image of superglue; that relationships are sticky and things become very raw when they get ripped apart. He was using it in specific reference to sex - but I think it goes beyond that. I think that (perhaps) God designed us to be with one person emotionally as well as sexually. That the reason why break-ups hurt so much is because they were never supposed to happen in the first place. That with each relationship that ends, a piece of you has been left behind too. And because once you've had the experience of a broken heart, it's a pain that you will go to many lengths to avoid ever happening again.

And although I have a heart that is mended, I'm cautious about who I would want to offer it to again. I like my heart - no, more than that, I value and respect it so I'm happy to wait for someone to show it the same amount of value. So that's one reason...

8 Comments:

  • At 12:11 pm, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    I've always thought the ol' "Why are you single?" was a bit of a pick-up line.

     
  • At 4:53 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    Oh really? I'll keep that in mind depending on who asks me next time!

     
  • At 5:26 pm, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    If it's "How are you still single?" then it's a definite green light.

     
  • At 12:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha Ha.
    It's such a random thing "singleness". I've given up asking that question of others, and had given up asking it of myself (up until changes in status last year), because I know far too many top-quality singles, and just as many married whackos!!!!!

    Oh, and Jodi did you mean that the talks gave you the "Impetuous" or the "Impetus"?

     
  • At 9:26 am, Blogger Louisa Claire said…

    Great post Jodi!

    and now that I've commented on your last 3 posts, I'll leave you & your blog alone for a little while....

     
  • At 9:53 am, Blogger jodi said…

    Goldy - hopefully I wont be writing anything to rashly or violently - so I'd say I meant 'impetus' (darn spell checker never works properly!).

    And Louisa your comments are always welcome (esp the prayers) - but as per one of them, I'll go and add a little update/response on each of them for you.

     
  • At 10:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jodi, I dont think you're alone in that feeling, i certainly felt that way for a lot of last year...

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger Katie said…

    I've had too many long-term (well, more than a year at least) relationships fail for me NOT to be cautious! I totally empathise with that sentiment as it is something I think about myself every now and again (but not too often if I can help it). But I wonder if that little bit you lose with each relationship that fails can be retrieved somehow...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home