for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Monday, June 18, 2007

Thou art my King - Psalm 44:4

How much do we know about those who write the words that we sing in church on a Sunday night?

Take for example Frances Havergal. Frances mother died when she was 11, her father when she was in her early twenties. She refused to sing anything other than gospel music and although she was proposed to a number of times she remained single because the only man she ever loved wasn't a Christian. By the time she was fifteen she'd memorised all of the New Testament, the Psalms and Isaiah.

Her hymn of consecration, "Take My Life and Let It Be" was written in 1874 and of it she wrote that it came out of a night of evangelising that saw about ten people become Christians. Her prayer, "Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold," in the same hymn wasn’t just words that she put to paper. In August, 1878, Frances wrote to a friend:

"The Lord has shown me another little step, and, of course, I have taken it with extreme delight. 'Take my silver and my gold' now means shipping off all my ornaments to the church Missionary House, including a jewel cabinet that is really fit for a countess, where all will be accepted and disposed of for me ... Nearly fifty articles are being packed up. I don't think I ever packed a box with such pleasure."

I don’t know about you but it’s people like this that really challenge me and my priorities. So, for the last few months before going to bed I’ve been reading some of her reflections as quite times. Thought I’d share one that really stood out to me:

"Can I say it? Ought I say it? Do I say it? Is Jesus in very deed and truth my King? Where is the proof of it? Am I living in His kingdom of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Ghost now? Am I speaking the language of that kingdom? Am I following the customs of the people which are not His people, or do I diligently learn in the ways of His people? Am I practically living under the rule of His laws? Have I done heart homage to Him? Am I bravely and honestly up-holding His cause, because it is His, not merely because those around me do so? Is my allegiance making any practical difference to my life today?

He came Himself to purchase me from my tyrant and His foe; He laid aside His crown and His royal robes, and left His kingly palace, and came down Himself to save a rebel; though He was rich, yet for my sake He became poor, that I through His poverty might be rich. God has called me unto His kingdom and glory; He hath translated me into the kingdom of the Son of His love; and shall the loyal words falter or fail from my lips, 'Thou art my King'?

O Saviour, precious Saviour, whom yet unseen we love;
O Name of might and favour, all other name above!
We worship Thee, we bless Thee, to Thee alone we sing;
We praise Thee, and confess Thee our Holy Lord and King!"

4 Comments:

  • At 1:05 am, Blogger EmP said…

    It's people like this who verify I am nothing but lazy!
    She's an insperation as is the Lord she glorifies.

     
  • At 1:08 am, Blogger EmP said…

    hahaha that's inspiration! I prove my point yet agian.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger val said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:35 pm, Blogger val said…

    again.

    You're just too excited when you post/sms things...

    Slow things down woman

    Type, Edit, Send

     

Post a Comment

<< Home