for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, May 20, 2007

If home is where the heart is - can I have two?

Pets are pretty amazing. They're a part of your family and are pretty much one of the few things that you can count on to unconditionally love and trust you - even after the crappiest of days. The fact that it's been a rough couple of months kind of came to a head on Thursday when we had to put my dog (of 12 years) down. It sucks. So I ran away - but I ran to a 'home' of my past.

There is a place down south where I pretty much spent my summers growing up. In its' remoteness and isolation, it's a place where I feel completely safe, comfortable and at peace - so I went back down this weekend to spend some time with the family friends who live there. And being in a reflective mood, I thought I'd give you some memories.

I went for a couple of runs, about 5 km's of beautiful beaches and invariably my runs would take me past this place. It's known as 'the Gantree' - seen here for fishing, but for me, it was the place where I went to learn how to do backflips when the tide was high enough.

As well as the sun and the surf, time down south always revolved around the beach and about 10 of us sitting around a big table eating enormous amounts of great food. This weekend was no exception - except now it involves more good wine for me.

The only negative about this weekend was getting tossed around like a rag doll in the surf while kayaking, and getting smacked in the back of the head with an oar. I have some almighty bruises...


...but considering that this was the view from my room - I think it was worth it.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great photo, Jodi. Glad you had a relaxing time away. Look forward to a show and tell of your battle wounds tomorrow. x

     
  • At 10:04 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    PS - since there's been an absence for a while, I've added some more photos to flickr

     
  • At 10:21 pm, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    But what you're saying is I don't get any credit for lending you my beloved old camera?

     
  • At 11:21 pm, Blogger timbo said…

    Back on topic.

    I ran away from home once, I hid in a box in the garage for about 2 hours, Mum didn't notice my absence, I went back inside.

    I had a rather uneventful childhood.

    Sounds like you had an awesome time though Jodi! I'm jealous!

     
  • At 6:47 am, Blogger jodi said…

    Of course you get credit Lachlan - just didn't want to make all the other people, and cameras, jealous knowing that I had the use of something so special. So...

    PPS - All the photos I took would not have been possible without the beautiful Canon 10D that Lachlan has given me the use of. To him goes all the credit and glory...

    (better?)

     
  • At 8:51 am, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 8:52 am, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    (Take 2)

    I think you went a little bit too far.

     
  • At 9:38 am, Blogger Lachlan Payne said…

    Plus, I think you meant "to it goes all the credit and glory..."

     
  • At 10:34 am, Blogger jodi said…

    well on second thought i was the one who set up the frames and pressed the button...

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are beautiful photos. It sounds like you enjoyed your weekend away. Hope it was refreshing and full of blessings :-) See you next week. xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home