for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Monday, March 03, 2008

Since when did Paramatta Rd become Portobello Rd?

'Officeworks' is a haven. For me, it's an oasis of calm - a place of potential and endless opportunities for organisation and I could spend hours wandering up and down those colourful aisles (actually one night I did drive to an Officeworks in Wollongong because I new that particular place of refugee would be open all night...but that's another story). So you can imagine my excitement the other day when I ran out of printer ink and had the perfect excuse to head up to the one on Paramatta Rd. am I revelling too much of my personality here?).

Since it was a rare moment of sunshine in the week just gone I decided to brave the elements that could come and with a jaunty bounce in my step I was on my way. Let's be clear - I was in a good mood and was sure that there would be others that would be sharing my joy along the way. So I smiled at those that I past on my journey and... not one person smiled back at me! I couldn't believe it. As I approached my haven a man kindly stepped in and opened the door for me (gentlemen take note - this is still a nice thing to do) and I realised that at least here I would get one smile. But as I looked into his eyes to say 'thankyou' he abruptly looked away like I caught him doing something naughty. Mmmm, undeterred I wander the aisles for a good half hour (I could have stayed so much longer) made my purchase and headed back to see if the world had decided to start smiling again.

Apparently not.

It reminded me of when I love in London and used to catch the tube to work on Portobello Rd in Nottinghill (yeah the travel bookshop was across the road). After a couple of months I was so sick of grey, miserable looking people that I'd smile inanely at them just to annoy them (in retrospect it wasn't exactly gracious of me).

By the time I was approaching the Footbridge I was seriously doubting my capacity to cajole my fellow humans into ever smiling back. Then, just a little further down I spied someone coming out of a certain house on Arundel St that's opposite Sydney Uni - and out of a half hour walk, passing literally dozens of people, this was the only person to smile back at me. He was wearing a bright white t-shirt that had a green stripe across the chest and initials that looked suspiciously like 'E.U'. Gee, I wander what it was in his life that made him different...?



Moral of the story - when someone smiles at you this week, smile back!

13 Comments:

  • At 6:09 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    is that my favourite cheeky bugger?

     
  • At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe

    :–P

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a nice little story & a fantastic little picture at the end? Did you take that pic?
    I'm going to see if I can do a series of pictures like that with my bible study youth tomorrow!

    TCG.><>.

     
  • At 4:16 pm, Blogger Bronwyn said…

    Hey Jodi...
    Paramatta road, portobello road, xyz road (fill in the blank for any city in the western world?)...
    Keep up the good work on the smiling front :-) It kind of reminds me of the free hugs guy... too often people treats simple acts of acknowledgment (like eye contact, or smiles, or (GASP SHOCK HORROR AT THE BODY CONTACT!!), hugs with such suspicion.

     
  • At 4:15 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    ok - so anonymous person you are clearly not the cheeky bugger that i was thinking of because you are not ms jones.... care to enlighten? if you look back at messages that is...

    Bronwyn! Hi! how are you? thanks for your words of encouragement - i'll 'swing' via your blog soon to leave a couple of comments of my own... is it just me or is this a pretty random format for staying in touch with peoples lives that you've never really spent much time with??? either way, i always love looking in and seeing how your growing family is getting on (and i still pray for your parents on and off too btw). blessings.

     
  • At 5:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The mystery of the Cheeky Bugger, eh. I am quite intrigued by this. Quite Intrigued Indeed.

     
  • At 10:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the real "anonymous" individual will always stay anonymous… oh yes - the intrigue gets deeper :-P

     
  • At 10:14 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    what??? that's not fair!

     
  • At 3:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Life can be unfair sometimes Jodi… but always look on the bright side of life :-P

     
  • At 11:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mr Anonymous is in fact M_r_y _a_e_

    If you can correctly fill in the missing letters you will know my true identity Jodi :)

     
  • At 10:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the question I would like answered now is "Since when did Jodi become such an occasional blogger?"

     
  • At 2:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unfriendly city!
    With hearts of steel,
    And faces so blank
    A bare prison cell
    Would blush to see them,
    If it could.
    Where did you learn not to care?

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    hilarious! I love it Jodi!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home