for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Monday, May 29, 2006

Through a strangers eyes...

Last night I was privliadge enough to see church through a strangers eyes.
Because I had been up in the church office doing things that evening, I was at the church hall early (yes before 6:30 is when it is early) and so I saw a couple standing on their own outside.
Let me be clear - going up to people I don't know at church is not something that I find easy. At all! My natural tendencies are to get a bit shy when it comes to strangers - but the Lord compelled me to go to them and see if they were new... they were.
Actually they had turned up to see a friend playing in the band (Pappy). Paul and Katie are in the land of Oz on exchange from Austria and so their understanding of church is based on what they have seen of the catholic church in their homeland. They had never been to church in their adults lives though - so last night was an eye-opener for them.
It was also one of those (rare) nights that we were having communion so I was able to explain to them what it symbolised in terms of Jesus body and blood for us. And as we were finishing off the second talk on the book of Ruth, I spent most of the sermon explaining to them the meaning of words such as "sinner", "Israel", "holy", and "redeemer". We flicked through the bible together and I showed them how the end of the book of Ruth gives us the start of the genealogy of Christ which they were somewhat amazed by.
I think they really enjoyed it! They kept on asking questions and at the end we had a great chance to talk about what they had expected church to be like and how they understood we could come to God.
Please pray for them!
And please make sure that you're looking out for people that you don't know at church - experience tells me that we have to get over ourselves and our nervousness and just say 'hello'!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Top stuff, Jodie!
    I'm glad someone else is getting the feeling we're not as welcoming as we should be...

     
  • At 10:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jodi, that is so encouraging! will definately be praying for them! its awesome how God works hey. very cool :)

     
  • At 10:23 pm, Blogger Camel said…

    That was so cool that you went to speak to them Jodi and that God obviously challenged them. Hopefully we will see them back soon. Next time maybe some music people can chat to them too. :)

     
  • At 10:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's cool!
    You know, there is a young Austrian couple here at Bible College this year. If you see this couple again, maybe we should introduce them some time?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home