for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Happy Days

I'm back. There were highs and a couple of lows. Actually really just the one low which came while visiting Nimbin. Ever been there? I have never been offered so many drugs in my life! The place is known for it - the 2 or 3 cops who are there turn a blind eye to it. Everywhere I went I was offered pot, mushrooms or hash cookies. The most depressing moment came for me when one woman approach me and offered me her supplies with her 4 yr old daughter in toe. This is all that these people live for - to escape reality and the world that they have come to know. Where is their hope? Where is their joy? Where is their comfort? In something that burns up and fades away after a few minutes.


They say (whoever those confounded people are that no-one can ever name!) that a picture paints a thousand words - so I thought I'd sum it up for you in photos. If you have the time and the inclination to put your words to my little holiday, as well as read a few more of my own, then feel free to click on the flicker box, then jodi's sets, then the ones that say ballina/byron.

but I shall leave you with one...


and you thought driving in a cast was hard!

8 Comments:

  • At 10:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One of my muso buddies wrote a song after passing through Nimbin on tour subtitled Proof That The Scorched Earth Policy Wasn't All That Bad. He wasn't a Christian, but even he couldn't avoid the sheer helplessness that seemed to trap everyone there...

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    welcome back, jodi. sounds/looks like you had a great time.

    i have 'experienced' nimbin a dew times (but not in that sense, of course... hugs not drugs, hey). certainly no other place like it. i recently saw a news segment on nimbin and its drugs... the reporters, making no effort to hide their identity or why they were there, were offered drugs maybe six times in the first minute they arrived. and the two/three officers you saw there? they're the only officers nimbin have. they commented about the hopelessness of nimbin's drug situation and said that they've pretty much been rendered powerless -- the government won't provide the police with adequate funding and they are often threatened with/are the victims of violence by nimbin residents. it was a sad story.

    on a happier note, i commend you for getting on that horse. cast or no cast, i'm quite scared of horses -- remind me to tell you about it some time. and someone's got a bit of an eye for photographs, don't they?? girl after my own heart.

    al.x

    (bet the weather was warmer there than it is here in melbourne, ah!)

     
  • At 6:05 am, Blogger Justin said…

    I drove through once. I don't believe I stopped, but was offered drugs three times.

    How is this possible???

    :)

     
  • At 8:48 pm, Blogger Di said…

    This Nimbin place sounds a bit sketchy...

    I hope you still have your cast on this Wednesday (without sounding cruel)- I haven't written on it yet!

    and yes...I'll bring you that mint pattie. One that hasn't melted in my pocket and then been slipped into your sling. (wasn't my idea)

     
  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger Angela Dorizas said…

    Jodi jodi jodi...riding a horse in a cast!
    glad u had fun tho :)

     
  • At 11:25 pm, Blogger JT said…

    Osteogenesis Imperfecta - "a group of genetic diseases in which the bones are formed improperly, making them fragile and prone to breaking", also known as 'brittle-bone' disorder.

    You must remember that little kid Quentin, in the wheelchair, who always got on Ray Martin for a laugh? Yeah well, that's YOU!!


    With all respect,
    JT

     
  • At 12:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    di,

    i will have it be known your comment regarding the strategic placement of a chocolate in jodi's sling has caused me great offence. you and i both know it was YOUR idea -- i merely (read: foolishly) accepted to take responsibility for the prank should it have turned sour. i'm confident that jodi knows the joke was, in fact, an expression of our love and admiration for her. please do not suggest it had sinister motives, and was, therefore only naturally, my idea.

    al.x

     
  • At 11:21 pm, Blogger Trinette said…

    So I heard you ask how I found your site ... I have ways and means that are quite mysterious young Jodi ...
    But the truth is I got here by following a comment you made on Tim's website (the truth is slightly less exciting unfortunately!) :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home