for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Monday, April 17, 2006

Full and filled with the spirit


Since Thursday I've spent most of my time encamped at Elanora Heights Conference centre. 'Credo' has been on it's annual Easter Time Convention (ETC) and so about 100 of us have spent the long weekend pouring over the scriptures and looking the Holy Spirit. It's been great - why is this a part of the trinity that we (seem to) neglect so much? One thing that's come out of it was a clarification for me: a presumption that I've always had (quite incorrectly) is that giftedness = godliness - yet when we looked at the Corinthian church I realised that some of the most spiritually "gifted" people are also some of the ones that the apostle Paul calls the most ungodly. In my own life I've always accepted that the HS plays a vital role in my salvation and maturity (obviously) but I've not longed with the same yearning for the spirit as I have for other Christian virtues.
Like a child playing with the mud (for those who know Lewis) I am too easily satisfied - when there is so much more on offer. This is going to change...


on to other things - ever had one of those places that you just love going to - that seems like a second home because you're so comfortable there? Ballina is one of those places for me (20 mins south of Byron for those who haven't been there). It's the home of my favorite cafe's (Sirocco's), the big prawn, and my friends Jeff and Naree. So tomorrow morning I am booked on flight JQ 166 to go and spend almost a week up there. I'm counting the hours...

and here are a few other random things that I've counted this week


number of easter eggs or bunnie eaten: none (yet)
number of weddings attended: 1
number of casts I've been in: 3
number of hours in hospital: 20
number of times I've wanted to scratch under the cast but can't: 27
number of close calls I've had while driving a manuel with my right hand: not telling
number of times I wish they'd given me a waterproof cast when thinking about Ballina: about a million
number of times I wish I hadn't fallen down those damn stairs: infinite

6 Comments:

  • At 8:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am trying v. hard to discern whether a particular cd has been mentioned in code in this blog, but i fear my efforts are in vain.

    in other less attention-seeking matters, how awesome was ETC. remind me never to miss another one -- the grace of our Father, the love of Jesus and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit was alive and well and so encouraging. amen to that.

    and as always, jodi, your company was an absolute delight. thanks.

    al.x :)

     
  • At 11:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jodi, I told u not to drive home from ETC!! Bad girl! How can u drive a manual with a cast on????

    I loved ETC this year. My thinking about the Holy Spirit has also changed. I'm now a bit more aware of home it is working in my life and have been praying that all of us at credo will be filled with the Spirit.

    Hope you're having a great time up at Ballina. Yay for North NSW! Boo for Sydney weather!

    Hey Alex...I miss all your sarcastic comments!!

     
  • At 11:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I meant "how" not "home."

    And I call myself a journalist. [shake head in shame] oops.

     
  • At 10:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey ange,

    well i should hope so. i am touched that i had such a profound impact on you in such a short time. *content sigh* but if you find yourself yearning for sarcasm, you are always welcome to add me to... MSN. if you have it. i love MSN, it's really the place to be.

    oh and the veronicas are on tonight, ange. i'll think of you when i'm rocking out.

    al.x

    ps -- apologies to jodi for polluting her blog with random conversation.

     
  • At 1:46 am, Blogger Justin said…

    Hey Jodi,

    Love to hear your words. For the record, I know you well enough to know that you have not neglected the Spirit. I have seen Him produce fruit in your life.

    I am interested to hear about how you see yourself as having neglected (or seemed to have neglected) the Spirit. I cannot see that you have.

    This is a compliment, by the way!

    (I always wonder whether when we talk about 'neglecting the Spirit’; sometimes there is an assumption that this is what evangelicals do, when the Charismatics don't. I wonder whether it is, in fact, the other way around!)

    Just thought I'd throw it out there...

    Enjoy Ballina.

    Justin.

    PS For our Post-ers -- the Spirit is a 'he', not an 'it'. Hope you don't mind me saying that. I'm very protective of this! :)

     
  • At 5:51 pm, Blogger JT said…

    Wow, my first comment, what to say...

    Firstly, if I had've known you over the last couple of years, my casting skills would be stacks better. You've heard of osteogenesis imperfecta, right?...

    Secondly, I have nothing to add to the chivalry debate - you try it, you get hammered, the femenists have a lot to answer for, I still see general good-will to people, though i still see general selfishness too. I heard someone say to me the other day "I like being made to feel like a lady", and why not!

    Thirdly, Ballina is sounding awesome - so is my week off next week! Ooo yeah...

    Cheers all,
    JT

     

Post a Comment

<< Home