for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Little fishies


Yesterday was a day full of excitement and trepidation for me. I finally picked up my latest pets - 4 baby fantail goldfish. Those who know me well will understand the irony here (if that's what it is) - because I do not have a great history with having fish as pets.
In my last year at SMBC I decided to get 2 Siamese fighting fish (yes they were in separate tanks) to brighten up my room a little. Who knew that you're not supposed to make loud noises around them (not great next to my stereo speakers then), tap on the glass, keep them in sunlight, change all their water all at once, feed them twice a day, handle them (only when I dropped them out of the net a few times) or aggravate them in stressful situations (like making them fight each other)? Needless to say, one of them got sick within a couple of weeks (apparently because he was stressed out).
What would you do if it was late at night at college and you were bored, didn't want to pay for fish medicine and the person in the room across from you had a yabbie? You'd want to see how long it would fight for too wouldn't you? Imagine it, 11pm, spotlight on the tank, "Gladiator" theme music in the background... Let's just say that the little fishy perked up to fight for a while but the odds were always stacked against him. The other Siamese fish lasted a few more months...
I'm expecting better things this time round though. I set up my little aquarium last week, they have good food, I'm going to measure the right amount of water conditioner in this time - and none of the previous activities will happen to these ones. I might even buy them something to play with and some special snails to eat their algae.

11 Comments:

  • At 4:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congratulations... new additions to the family are always v. exciting. i'm sure they'll settle in just fine. now there are enough for some tag-team fighting action! bring it on!

    we had fish for a while, too -- several over a period of about 5 years, but many of them did not live very long at all... i think it had something to do with our two cats... they are very acrobatic and swift and good at jumping onto high shelves... and then eating the fish in the bowl on the high shelves.

    we don't keep fish anymore.

    ps -- make sure you name them!

    al.x.

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Blogger JT said…

    Man, now I've got another movie confession to make - I liked Sliding Doors! It's one of those chick-flicks that doesn't even rate as an acceptable 'quiet-moment' confession if you're a guy, but here I am declaring it to the world...

    A guy from College saw that penguin movie and said it was good. The word 'documentary' was enough to ward me off paying money for it, but let me know if it's worth it.

    And I think dying is one of the few good purposes a fish can serve. Have I made enemies now?

    JT

     
  • At 10:01 pm, Blogger Angela Dorizas said…

    Jodi!! That is terrible! So glad you didnt tell me that story in person, I would have cried!

    I am going to get the RSPCA or PETA onto you!!! grrrrrrr

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:17 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    no JT, no emnity from me. prehaps the irony mentioned should come from the fact that i have always said that fish are the most useless pets out there - followed closely by cats. but a friend convinced me otherwise when i saw how pretty hers were swimming around. we'll just have to wait and see.

    what is a "quiet moment confession" for a guy? and march of peng's may be a docco - but it's morgan freeman, and he is definativley cool.

    and angiemay - you wouldn't have cried because deep down you would have seen the humour in it. just don't tell bec spires!

     
  • At 12:10 am, Blogger Di said…

    UM hermit crabs are not useless. I used to have two. Clemmie and Sebastian.

     
  • At 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok, fine. but they are surely less useful than other pets.

    al.x.

     
  • At 12:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry... just one more potentially useless pet to add to the list... birds -- they just... fly away. no sense of loyalty at all.

    al.x.

     
  • At 8:26 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    why is it that a silly post about fish gets 10 comments when a post on thanking the Lord gets 3? what's wrong with this picture?

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh ow. my hand reached for my neck in a weird vulnerable, hurt way when i read that... i hear the mocking tone, but also the seriousness. and i did make a list -- it was, after all, the challenge for the week.

    and my picture is not the prettiest, but it's not finished yet. we're all works in progress.

     
  • At 12:15 am, Blogger jodi said…

    alex - your picture is beautiful because, like the rest of ours, it is seen in the light of Christ. glad you made a list - you'll have to share it with me sometime

     

Post a Comment

<< Home