for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's day reflections

Today was fairly standard for mothers day in my family. We headed up the north coast to go to my grandparent's place in Erina and have lunch with my aunt and uncle. Had a cup of tea and some of my nan's infamous coffee bun biscuits, a good seafood lunch as we sat around the table - blah, blah, blah...
But as I sat at that familiar table I realised just how disheartened and frustrated I am by my family. They are all unbelievers in the Lord, and that was just so evident in the conversations that they were having. I felt like screaming at them: "Don't you get it???!!! Can't you see that there is something more going on in this life than your petty quarrels or disagreements about our society???"

Don't get me wrong - I really do deeply love my family, esp my mum and nanna. Both are lovely women who have been so generous and giving in the way that they have raised me. These are two women who have made incredible sacrifices for their families so that their children might have all the opportunities that they feel they never had.
They have faced incredible pain and grief alongside their greatest joys and delights. Both will fiercely claim that their wrinkles come from laughter rather frowning (and I'm inclined to believe them knowing first hand how much they value a good smile!)
But, as much as I love them, they are by no means the women who have made and shaped me to be the woman that I am today. In their place could very easily stand two other older women: Julie Moser and Emma Jonker. Ah I wish that I had photos of them! These are two women (amongst half a dozen or so others) who have guided, encouraged, challenged and rebuked me in, and through, the word of God. When life has been hard and tears have come fast and furious - they have been the ones to not only wipe them away but to give me a perspective of heaven. Equally in times of great joy they have been some of the ones to remind me that all good things come from the hand of our Father.
Are there people like that in your life? If so, thank God for them every day (and maybe say thanks to them too!). Feel free to publically acknowledged them here if you wish.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:24 am, Blogger Justin said…

    I'm praying for your mum and mum's mum.

     
  • At 11:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's such a frustrating thing to see friends and family miss the point... i'll be praying for your family also.

    i think in The Formative Years, i'd give wraps to my parents (among other people). not necessarily for things they've said, but who knows where i'd be without the Church Every Sunday philosophy? i would also like to say that fr. peter dowd was one of the most amazing priests out.

    but there is still much learning and growing to be done. i look forward to adding names to the list over the coming years.

     
  • At 11:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jodes,I will be praying for your family!
    I really love that 2nd photo too - very cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home