for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I have hope


If you live in Australia right now, I think you would have to be deaf, dumb, blind and comatosed not to know about these two men who are trapped in the mine in Beaconsfield, Tasmania. Watching channel 9 tonight, I learnt that the countdown for them coming out is on: should be in the next 4-5 hrs (as I write this).
Why is it that I have an urge to stay up and watch them (with most of the rest of Australia according to Tracey Grimshaw) come out in the triumphant glow of overcoming all the 'natural odds' of what should happen when a mine collapses on you because of an earthquake tremor. The reason I'm glued to my TV set on a Saturday night? Hope...
We are creatures that long for the best. We long to overcome adversary and look for a fairytale ending. When tragedy befalls someone else, we long for it to be put right in their life so that we can be comforted in the knowledge that our pain too can be taken away when things suck for us.


I can not imagine the emotions that must be going through the minds of these two men, sitting in a 1.2x2m cage kilometers below the surface in the dark. What will it be like to have your first glimpse of Sunlight - to feel its warmth on your face for the first time in 13 days? To have your first touch of a loved one whom you thought you were separated from, possibly for eternity?
As a minister of the word, as a Christian, I can't help but draw on the illustration that this provides us for coming out of our sinful hole - remembering what is was like to be touched for the first time by the knowledge of the grace that the Son provides us we come into the light of salvation. So that's what I think - here is what I want: I want to recapture that sense of unlimited hope and joy in my salvation. I think that overtime we regress and start to go back down into the mine - we forget to head into the Light. Two verses to challenge me in my walk up out of the pits: Psalm 28 and John 1:1-12. Look them up.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i have read and been inspired.

    lately, this is something i have been thinking about quite a bit -- that 'first time' you realise the enormity of God's love, grace and mercy and the joy and hope we have in salvation. as someone who has grown up in a christian family, been to scripture at school (why do they separate the catholics, why? haha), sunday school and attended a christian high school, i can't really 'pinpoint' that first time. sometimes i wonder what this says about me. how to regress from a moment you can't define? i've never felt the need to question what i've been taught, but increasingly i find a bit of questioning encouraging... not that i am setting out to disprove anything; i guess it's my way of being reminded of how great it is to live in His light.

    the fact that i call Jesus my Saviour means i have as many spiritual blessings as the next... and i understand lightning and streamers etc are not a pre-requisite... but sometimes i wish there had been that 'one moment'. maybe it's another of my weird... things.

    ps -- tracey grimshaw? wake up with friends on sunrise, jodi! :)

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you really are a minister of the word, seeing sermon illustrations in everything tee hee

    YSIC

     
  • At 1:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just quietly -- not that I disagree in any way with your comments on hope -- but if I have to endure one more second of those darn commercial channels dragging out this rescue or hosting every second show they have from Beaconsfield then I will probably end it all.

    It's shameful. Just shameful.

    At least you can always rely on the good old ABC.

     
  • At 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jodi, I like that post, and the illusion! I am so with you there!
    Thanks especially for the psalm to look up - i needed it - such a good reminder!..
    "Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield." Psalm 28:6-7 says:
    How good is God?! I am so thankful for that!
    God bless,
    Chels

     

Post a Comment

<< Home