for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Another one bites the dust...

So I told you a while ago that I don't have the best history with fish. Now that Pen's little Olivia is safe and sound (and been around for more than a few days - and she knows this story) I feel that I can share this with you all. Let it be know that the only reason I haven't posted it sooner is not cos I feel foolish (although that may be true) but because I didn't want a hormonal and emotional new mother being distressed. So here goes...
Last Tuesday, the day before Olivia was born, Penny and I went to Macquarie to waste some time and watch a movie ("The Breakup" - not what I expected but still good). Afterwards we went to the petshop where we had a little look at some fishies.


One that we saw was this little fishy. We cacked ourselves laughing because it just looked like Pen did - big, round, uncomfortable and like you could roll it down a hill really easily. So I bought it and named it "Olivia" in Pen's honour (I did name a fish after Penny one time - it didn't last too long - how ironic).
Took it home, talked to it soothingly as I put it in the tank with the others - I did everything right, I promise. Except one little thing. As you might be able to see from this picture, these fish (pearlscales is the name of the breed) have thin delicate little fins...
I came back to check on it after a bit, only to find that it's fins had been sucked into the filtration system!!! In case you didn't know, when fish don't move, they drown...
This little"Olivia" lasted in my care less than 3 hours...
I'm not naming any more fish after friends or loved ones...

On another note - I'm off on another road trip. While many of you will be waking up to face another Monday morning of work or exams I shall be heading back to Ballina via Tamworth (to see some other friends from college). Get back next Wednesday. I love being on holidays.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:24 pm, Blogger JT said…

    You are an absolute crack-up!! And a shocker! Seriously, how are you still alive? You're not planning on having kids are you???

     
  • At 12:17 am, Blogger jodi said…

    if i do have kids - i wont be naming any fish after them or vice versa.

    and for all you comment readers out there you get to hear my number one tip for day one of your holidays: always check the speedo... too fast = a $225 fine and a cop car chasing you down on the new england highway.

    bugger...

    (and in my defense this time i was in no way deliberatley trying to speed. i'd had my cruise control set the entire 4.5 hours thus far of my trip - i was 20mins from Tamworth - ggggrrrrrrr!!!!)

     
  • At 1:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's Gotta Hurt. happens to the best of us, hey. how far over were you going?

    in any case, i think your driving advice may be a little more sound than your tips on pet care, so i will heed your warning. thanks. ;)

    enjoy your holiday, jodi! :)

     
  • At 6:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ouch!

    enjoy your holiday jodi! Hope you have a good and relaxing time away!

     
  • At 11:44 pm, Blogger JT said…

    I'm still laughing...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home