for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Sunday, June 11, 2006

A bit of reflection - and a day in the life of...

I've been doing a bit of thinking this week about all that has happened in the last year or so. My only real conclusion? God has been very gracious to me - esp in the way that He has been growing and maturing me through the good, and the not so pretty things of life.
A couple of weeks ago (and after a few post work drinks after a particularly draining day) I caught the train home with an old friend and the conversation turned a little philosophical. We were talking about frustrations and sadnesses, and he was saying that he thinks there is beauty even in the most ugly of things and circumstances. At the time I wasn't sure that I agreed, but it's kind of stuck with me and so I've been thinking a lot about how, and where, it is that we look for beauty.
Whether you think it's a cliche or not, if there is beauty and grace in the most ugly symbol that has ever been on the earth - then the cross has to be it. And if that can be beautiful, aren't we forced to say that there must be beauty (somewhere?) in everything else too?
I have to admit that to say this doesn't come easily to me. I get a little cynical from time to time, but I'm determined to be changing this.

On a very different note, there are many things that I thought staff working would entail when I started at UTS - some have been actualised, others... not so much. Some general expectations of what I would do include; reading the bible with people, praying with people, having coffee etc etc - but hairdressing...???

For a fundraiser, Joel offered to 'save' or 'shave' his hair to raise money for a Credo mission trip - $1200 was raised all up.


Me shaving Joels head and (below) a couple of unhappy girls at seeing his beautiful hair fall to the ground.


This week though, staffworking takes me to Stanwell Tops and to a conference for all of AFES's snr staff from across the country. Some things I'm looking forward to about it, others I am definitely not. For those who feel compelled to pray, if you could be asking for God for lots of love, wisdom, patience and contentment - well, that would be wonderful...

Til next week

4 Comments:

  • At 8:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jodi,
    I think there is beauty in the ugly parts of life, but its usually not realised until afterwards. I am speaking from experience. I too find it hard to acknoweldge that though, but would say that as God continues to teach me through these things it actually becomes clearer.
    I could say so much more about this stuff, but wont clog your comments page...

    Meanwhile, I will definately be praying for you!

    Oh and I meant to tell u at church but didnt get the chance, Rob says hi too!

    Take care jodi

     
  • At 12:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i strongly believe that there is good in every situation, and i have been like that since year 9

    its like Pollyanna hahaha and her glad game

    there is an up-side to everything! if you allow yourself to see it

     
  • At 6:42 am, Blogger Justin said…

    J.

    That first paragraph holds the key to almost every question you will ever ask [or need to ask]...

    Your conversation didn't turn 'a little philosophical', it turned our more practical than how to change a tire on a car.

    It don't get more practical.

    Love it.

     
  • At 9:05 am, Blogger jodi said…

    JMoff you are so right...
    although i am proud to say that i do know how to change a tire too...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home