for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm His daughter

This has to be in my top five favorite photos from my childhood...


It was taken on Christmas Eve, when I was about 6. I like the image that it portrays. A little girl, wide eyed and innocently protected under the arms of her father. It's a nice image but the reality didn't always match up. I was never a 'daddy's little girl' so to speak, and for a lot of my childhood, my relationship with my earthly father wasn't exactly always the best. But by the grace of my Heavenly Father alone we have a really good one now. I love my parents and the 'Fathers day' just gone was a nice time spent together with them and my sister and brother in law down on the boat, chilling out and enjoying each others company over a champagne brunch.

But since Sunday night, I have been thinking about what Robin said during his sermon on John 1 - in particular vs 12: "Yet all who receive Him (Jesus), to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God".

What does that mean to you? Every now and then I am struck again by the reality that, because I do call on the name of Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, I can call the creator of the universe my Father. It is so intimate a term isn't it? The one who gave you life, sustains, protects, guides, cherishes, corrects, rebukes... The one who places you on His knee only to raise His palm to cup your face, extend His thumb, and wipe away the tear that lingers on the edge of your lashes.

Bring it on!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that pic jodi! very cool

    But more importantly, I also love that image and that we can call our Lord and creator Father.
    It is amazing.
    And it should impact how we live and respond to him so much. Its not just this thing where we are saved, but its a relationship! Very cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home