for those who don't want to just wait it out

like the song says this is a blog for someone who wants to say something (anything) and who's happy to wait and see what time will bring...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Do you think I'm going to Hell?

Because she's coming on Katoomba women's convention this weekend I suggested to mum this morning that she maybe read a bit of one of the gospels so that she could get come background knowledge before we got there. Apparently she did some reading today (much to my excitement when I got home) and so we started chatting - mostly her asking questions and me answering some of them.

The end result? My mum realised for the first that I think she's going to hell. It was awful to see the pain of that realisation go over her face. At almost every moment I wanted to back down and say "it'll be ok - you're a good person", but I just couldn't, the bible wont let me. As I tried (gently) to say to her, the argument has to be against what Jesus says/claims, not what I think.

I went to bible study tonight with a heavy heart. We were looking at 1 Corinthians 2 - "We do however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age who are coming to nothing. No, we speak of God's secrete wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God has destined for our glory before the time began". (vs 6-7)

No wonder it's so hard...

9 Comments:

  • At 2:34 am, Blogger Justin said…

    Difficult times. But potentially a wonderful catalyst. Prayin'...

     
  • At 1:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Jodi. God answered our prayer that she would read the bible. I will continue to pray that he will change her heart. And for you also in the difficult conversations.

     
  • At 2:43 pm, Blogger JT said…

    Jodi that is so GOOD! I know it's kind of not too, but praise God - how else will she kneel before Christ and cling to his death and resurrection above all else. I know it's hard, but sin is hard and judgement is hard... and forgiveness is so GOOD - imagine when the fear is replaced by joy of forgiveness! Stick at it Jodi, it's worth every tear.

    JT

     
  • At 3:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow! That is very hard, but also very exciting! What an answer to prayer in so many ways!
    Will keep praying for you and her.
    Stay strong, know that God will give you the words and the strength to talk her through this, and, like JT said, remember that forgiveness is so good and that this must come before the joy...

    with love in Christ,
    Chels

     
  • At 7:17 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    thanks guys - i think she's still reading the bible. i came home last night to find it on a different page to where i left it.
    and we're still heading off to kwc tomorrow morning...

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger bec said…

    i prayed for you guys all weekend after seeing you at the elephant bean early saturday morning (you're right, the coffee was SO good). i was so excited for you that your mum was there. i really hope she could absorb some of the amazing (and challenging) stuff that we heard at WKC.

    i will continue to pray. :)

     
  • At 9:34 pm, Blogger jodi said…

    a little update for you - mum came to the KWC but ended up sleeping through a lot of the talks. It was so frustrating! i kept on nudging her but to little avail...
    she did however listen to maxine cook's talk on prayer - that God wants to hear our prayers and that we can go to Him at any time.
    and she got to see that there were at leats 2000 other women who are on a similar page as me (i'm not just in some weird marginal cult!)
    thanks for the prayers people

     
  • At 9:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow Jodi, that is amazing!

    there is no way my parents would go to a convention like that, let alone read the bible. praise God!

    I had my best friend a few years ago telling me how her mum (who is a catholic) says that people like her daughter who are basically good must go to heaven too
    and she asked me if that was true
    ..having to tell her that no, it wasn't true, and yes she was going to hell, that was a hard thing to say.

    I will be praying for your mum :)

    YSIC
    Kat DC

     
  • At 10:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is very cool Jodi!

    And even though she may not have been awake for the things you wanted her to, God works in his own mysterious ways, sometimes people can be impacted by the things we least expect...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home